Chef Rachel Klemek of Black Market Bakery - Hazel Nut Brittle
I met with the super talented Rachel Klemek of Black Market Bakery. Rachel's secret? The best ingredients, make it from scratch and make it your own. After my taste test, I've got to say that she's got a winning combination.
Black Market Bakery's - Hazel Nut Brittle
6 ounces Water
8 ounces Glucose or Corn Syrup
14 ounces Sugar
15 ounces Nuts (Pistachios, peanuts, pecans, hazelnuts, cashews or a combination)
1/2 ounce Salt
1 ounce Butter
1/8 ounce Baking Soda
Saucepan, Candy Thermometer, Heat-proof Spatula, Sheet Pan, and Silpat Mat
1. Combine sugar, water, and glucose in a heavy saucepan fitted with a candy thermometer and bring to a boil. Do not stir at this point.
2. Continue to cook to 240F. Add the nuts and salt and begin stirring over high heat until the mixture reaches 295F
3. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the butter.
4. Once incorporated, add the baking soda. Stir until the mixture looks whitish.
5. Immediately pour the brittle onto a silpat-lined sheet pan and allow to start cooling. When the edges are cool enough to handle, start pulling the brittle. Work around the mass and break off pieces as they harden. Continue to pull until all of the brittle is cool.